Saturday, September 12, 2026

Check? Please!

“If the Republicans win the Senate and House, because of our tremendous strength and success economically, I will issue a dividend to every adult citizen in the United States of America for $5,000.” President Donald Trump Republican Convention 9 September 2026

               I do not often use the word “crass.” Most of the people I associate with tend to comport themselves decently. As usual in English, there are several definitions for the word crass. In this case, I’m using this definition found in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, “guided by or indicative of base or materialistic values.” Such a promise coming from a sitting president is nothing but crass, possibly  illegal, or at least immoral.

               While this may not fit the legal definition of “vote-buying,” it certainly comes very close. Whatever the case, it reminds me of immature backyard play. In fact, this event surfaced a long-dormant memory. Once, a casual friend gave me a rather expensive toy. The expectation was that I would support him in neighborhood pick-up football games. Incensed that I would accept such a gift, my father made me march down E.N. 21st and return the toy, apologize, and refrain from neighborhood football games for a couple of weeks. I learned a good lesson, having to return a cool toy and then watch everyone else have fun. My support was not for sale. I supported someone or something because of their inherent worthiness, not in exchange for cash or other favors. I’m no longer a little boy and am chagrined and insulted by this.

               I’m chagrined that one of the leading politicians of my country, the president in fact, would stoop to such insulting pandering behavior. I thought we left such behaviors behind with the late nineteenth century and the Tammany Hall debacles. Just in case you’ve slept since your last American history class, Tammany Hall was a political machine which exerted influence in New York City and was rife with corruption, often in the form of vote buying. In this country we do not purchase votes…at least I thought this the case. I imagine the raised eyebrows and shaking heads in governmental halls around the world, “Is this how the Americans think democracy is supposed to work?”

               In the early years of the twenty-first century, we ought to know better. We choose our elected officials for the ideas and programs they espouse. We expect them to employ certain plans designed to achieve results needed by much of the population. We do not grant them authority and power based on personal payment or kickback. This level of quid pro quo leads to a failed government which exists to enrich a powerful few at the expense of the populace in general. It is embarrassing for our president to stoop so low to secure his powerbase. It is also insulting.

               I am insulted that our President and the party he leads think that I am so ignorant as to accept this promise. Are they truly willing to add another trillion or so dollars to the national debt? Are they so intellectually bankrupt that they cannot think of persuasive arguments to remain in power? Do they think that I am so clueless as to accept this kind of bribery? These and other questions arise from such an empty promise. After all, I do not for a moment believe that President Trump or the Republican party will fund this. This is not the first time that the President has promised a check in the mail. This kind of statement indicates his low opinion of my intelligence. So, it  is quite insulting. So why do this?

               All I can think of is that he and his party prefer form over substance. They want to sound good without being good. Bereft of solid executable ideas, they willingly resort to pandering to our lowest instincts. We must reject these behaviors and the politicians who employ them. We deserve better. We desperately need better. It is time to march down the street and return the bribe. After all, that is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment